U P C O M I N G C A L E N D A R
Wednesday, October 9, 6:30pm – Pilipinx Writer’s Night
with San Mateo County’s Poet Laureate Aileen Cassinetto, Jason Bayani, Beverly Parayno, Rashaan Alexis Meneses, & a surprise guest on Wednesday, October 9, 6:30pm, John Daly Branch Library, 134 Hillside Blvd, Daly City. Bios below.
Saturday, October 19, PAWA Lit Crawl Event, Phase II
with Barbara Jane Reyes, Rachelle Cruz, Tony Robles, Beverly Parayno, and Rashaan Alexis Meneses at Holy Mountain on Valencia, San Francisco (to be confirmed).
PAST READINGS & EVENTS
(for past academic presentations, please click on Teaching)
- 4 November, 2018, Lone Glen: “Writers who Parent/ Parents who Write” on Saturday, November 4th at 8 pm at Temescal Art Center in Oakland (511 48th Street) with Breiseth, Lauren Levin, Rashaan Alexis Meneses, Sara Mumolo, and Amos White. In our community, what role does parenting play in the creative process, and what role does the imagination play in the journey of raising a child? How does the act of parenting serve as a constraint, or not, as we express ourselves in writing and in other art forms? Come out to hear what these parent writers are thinking about in their work and about their process. A brief Q and A will follow their readings.
- 9 June 2017 “Bridging: A One-Day Writing Retreat, Hedgebrook and SMC MFA Creative Writing” facilitated workshop “Tracking a Moving Target: Applying to Residencies & Fellowships”
- 26, February 2016 “Cleave: Bay Area Women Writers” @ Octopus Literary Salon with Candace Eros Dias and Mary Volmer
- 19 February 2015 Under the Influence Reading at The Emerald Tablet, 80 Fresno St. San Francisco CA 94133.
- 14 November 2014 reading with Raina León (organizer), Elizabeth Rosner, and Judith Hablesky @ Orinda Books, 276 Village Square, Orinda, CA.
- 17 November 2014 “Inciting the Global Imagination: Daring Students to Become Cosmographers” Interactive Workshop, sponsored and organized by Saint Mary’s College International Club, Soda Center (1928 Moraga Road, Moraga, CA 94575).
- 18 October 2014, SMC MFA @ Lit Crawl with Josh Braff, Lily Brown, Robert Andrew Perez, and Susan Sasson, Bay Blend Coffee & Tea, San Francisco, CA.
- 12 January 2014, Hazel Reading Series, including readers Sarah Frisch, Mei Li Ooi, Carolyn Cooke, and Monique Wentzel, San Francisco, CA.
- 20 November, “Life After the MFA” part of a panel that includes Brenda Hillman, Joshua Mohr, and Colby Gillete, Saint Mary’s College of California MFA Creative Writing Program.
- 19 October, 2013, Guest Authors Panel #2: Writing Our Way Home: Shaping Tradition, History and Culture. Luisa Igloria, Jon Pineda, Lysley Tenorio with Rashaan Meneses as moderator, Filipino American International Book Festival (Filbookfest 2) Likhâ ng Lahi, San Francisco Public Library.
- 2 March 2013, Babylon Salon Spring 2013 Reading with Terry Bisson, Tamim Ansary, Kate Durbin, and Renee Thompson, Cantina SF, San Francisco.
- 28 November 2012, PAWA Presents Lysley Tenorio, Monstress. Moderated by Rashaan Alexis Meneses, The Philippine Consulate
- 18 November 2012, “Political Narratives in Colonial Amnesia: Filipino/American Landscapes”, Political Content & Engagement Writing Workshops at Mills College with instructor Melissa Rae Sipin-Gabon, co-sponsored by ANAKBAYAN East Bay, TAYO Literary Magazine and Philippine American Writers & Artists.
- 14 October 2012, “Power of Voice” Workshops, 9th Grade Student Leadership Annual Conference, Puente Project, Saint Mary’s College of California
- 29 September 2011- “The Places We Call Home” (part of the International Filipino Book Festival 2011) at Eastwind Books of Berkeley.
- 14 May 2011- Keynote Speaker for Saint Mary’s College of California’s Asian Pacific American Student Association’s Cultural Graduation Ceremony
- 27 April 2011- Saint Mary’s College of California’s Creative Writing Reading Series Alumni Reading with Rosemary Graham and Rashaan Alexis Meneses
- 16 May 2010 – “Eating Our Words: Writings About Food & Family,” Asian Culinary Forum’s 2010 Symposium: “Filipino Flavors = Tradition + Innovation
- 17 April 2010 – GUFFII Reading at the I-Hotel, Manilatown Heritage Foundation
- February 2010 – Guest Lecturer for USF’s Filipino American Arts YPSP 316 taught by Barbara Jane Reyes
- January 2010 – Growing Up Filipino II Book Launch, Bayanihan Community Center, San Francisco
- November 2009 – PAWA, Inc’s Community & Academic Writing Programs: A Panel for Emerging Writers, San Francisco Public Library
- October 2009 – “I’s Through the Looking Glass”- Organized and presented this a two-hour forum and workshop for Saint Mary’s students, staff, and faculty to explore and discuss issues concerning identity and culture, Delphine Cultural Center
- November 2008 – MFA Open House Panel, MFA Creative Writing Program, Saint Mary’s College of CA
- October 10, 2007 – “A Night of Filipino-American Writing” Presented by APASA and MFA Creative Writing Program, Saint Mary’s College of California
- February 22, 2007 – “Sense…& Sensuality: Literary Reading,” Sponsored by Asian American Women Writer’s Association, Encantada Gallery of Fine Arts, San Francisco.
- March 24, 2006 – “Blurred into the Landscape: Writing the Lives of Invisible Los Angeles” graduate presentation for City University of New York’s English Students Association, Graduate Student Conference on “Literature and the City.”
- January 2006 – Paolo Javier’s “A Play, A Play”, Small Press Traffic’s Poet’s Jamboree, California College of the Arts
- October 2005 – The Lovely Nowhere- Readings by Bay Area Pin@y Writers, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
- October 2004 – “Wide Eyed Workshop: Nurturing Emerging Asian American Voices” by Eurie Chung in Asians in America Magazine
- March 2004 – “Pilipino Alumni Association’s Career Nights Network” James West Alumni Center, UCLA
- — “Babae- A Special Edition of the FilAm ARTS Bazaar celebrating International Women’s Day,” LA, CA
- February 2004 – “Our Young Filipino Writers- The Filipino American’s Uphill Battle” by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard in Filipinas Magazine
- October 2003 – “PinaySPEAKS: Making Connections Through Words and Memory” Workshop, Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS), San Diego Chapter Conference
- May 2003 – “The Mixed Race Experience” on 90.7 KPFK’s Program Aziatik Rythymz, Pacifica Radio
- — “Verbal Eyes” Organized by CAPSA “Art of War”, Ackerman Student Union, UCLA Campus
- September 2002 – Moderated “Finding Home” Reading Series, PAN Literary Arts/Spoken Word, SIPA, Los Angeles, CA